Thuyloi University rated 4 stars in the UPM system

Prof. Trinh Minh Thu, TLU's President (third right) and Prof. Nguyen Trung Viet, Vice President (second left) receives the UPM 4-star certificate 

University Performance Metrics (UPM) is launched by a research group of Vietnam National University, Hanoi as a part of the National Science and Technology Program in Education presided by Ministry of Education and Training.

Currently, the world’s prominent rating and ranking systems are mostly the playground of outstanding universities. The top 1000 universities in the world only make up about 3%, while the rest 97% (about 28,000 universities) have not been in focus despite of their due contributions in the general development of the education in the world.

UPM focuses on this group of institutions in Vietnam and the ASEAN region with the aim of helping the universities to identify and manage their strategic goals to approach the top 100 Asian universities.

According to the criteria of UPM, the 5-star institutions, especial research universities, have the capacity to reach the top 100 Asia with the nationally leading quality and, to some extent, internationally prestige. 4-star institutions are highly regarded nationally and regionally while 3-star fulfill their responsibilities in education and training in accordance with the labour market’s demand and can participate in regional student exchange activities.

So far, 30 institutions from Vietnam and ASEAN region have joined in the UPM system. Thuyloi University has rated 4 stars amongst the research universities. This is an encouraging result and will be a stepping stone for the continued comprehensive development of TLU to higher achievements in the future.

Bich Ha - International Cooperation Deparment